Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Votes for a New 007

I have been kind of doing a James Bond marathon the last few days.  It is amazing that the franchise has lasted this long with as many casting changes as they have done for the role of 007 himself.  As I am watching them, I do as I always do and wonder who could star as the next Bond, James Bond.  Let's be honest with ourselves, Daniel Craig sucks as Bond, not as bad as Timothy Dalton, but only by very little.

Following are my three choices for the next James Bond.  They are all British, have held title roles in blockbusters and would bring in the next generation of Bond fans.

James McAvoy - Technically, James is Scottish, but then so was the original Bond, Sean Connery.  Aged 32, James is the oldest of my choices and has starred in such movies as The Last King of Scotland, Atonement, Wanted and is the new Professor Charles Xavier.  He also played Steve McBride in the British version of Shameless.  He is young, stylish and I think he would do for the Bond movies what Matt Damon did for the Bourne trilogy.  He should be good for 6 or 7 Bond movies.





Robert Pattison - Not the first person one would think of as a new 007, but that should work in his favor.  Though his claim to fame is the Twilight movies (none of which I have viewed), Robert has also played Salvador Dali in Little Ashes.  His biggest asset is the built in younger audience.  If Bond is to survive for another 40+ years, it needs to start on the younger demographic now.






William Moseley - Best known as Peter Pevensie in the Narnia movies, William is also the youngest of my choices.  He has proven that he can act and also be in action sequences, which is very important for any Bond actor (which is one reason that Dalton failed so badly).  He may not be the draw of McAvoy or Pattison, but he could easily build the franchise up.







Let me know who your choice for a new James Bond would be.  Make sure they are British (from England, Scotland, Welsh or even Irish).

Bonus Pick - Even though I love Dame Judy Dench, I think that Bill Nighy would be a great "M".

*Update* - Super Bonus Pick - Eddie Izzard for "Q".

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you comment, please be civil and don't spam.