I want to thank everyone who has stuck through and read Phoenix Justice this year. I hope you have enjoyed what I have posted and some of it has made you think a bit. As many of you know, I am a big music fan and being a child of the 80s, music videos have been a big part of what makes music fun. Here are my choices for the Top 20 Music Videos of 2013.
Honorable Mention. The 2013 Song by Troye Sivan - This video just came in under the wire for 2013 and it is just so fun and amazing. I don't know how to feel!
20. DNA by Empire of the Sun - This synth-pop duo from Australia with their outlandish looks and infectious beats reminds me Pet Shop Boys from the 80s. DNA is a fun video because of the fact that they film on a city bus and ride BMX bikes.
19. Thinking About You by Calvin Harris featuring Ayah Marar - This videos features it all: Decadence, sex, rage and pirates! Need I really say more?
18. Stay The Night by Zedd featuring Hayley Williams - Its not easy to make a video for electronic dance music, but Zedd does a great job with Stay The Night and capturing the franticness.
17. Bubble by Sebastian Castro - Celebrating the perfect male ass, Filipino artist Sebastian Castro gives us a bevy of male eye candy in this video. It is like nothing you have every seen before and it will give you so much pleasure.
16. Make It Up by Sam Tsui - This artist made it big making covers on YouTube and was even featured on Ellen. Featuring an amazing tracking shot, this video is Sam's first original single. Play along!
15. Wake Me Up by Avicii - Telling the story of a girl out of place in a small California town until she visits the city and "wakes up", this video by Swedish mix-master Avicii is a perfect match for the folk based dance tune.
14. Love Somebody by Maroon 5 - I have a confession. I think Adam Levine is sexy. I normally wouldn't be attracted to someone like Adam, but he oozes sexy. Now add some grey paint, a white background and his half-naked body and you have a super sexy video. I could dance the night away with Adam.
13. Girls/Girls/Boys by Panic! At The Disco - In an homage to D'Angelo's classic video for Untitled (How Does It Feel), Brendan Urie gets naked as he talks about girls, girls and of course, boys.
12. Back Again by White Room - This video makes me wonder why more artists don't make even half the effort to produce great videos for their music. Formerly The Basis, White Room looks like they had a lot of fun making this very English rock video.
11. You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You by James Arthur - What is it with British boys having such powerful soul filled voices? Whatever they are putting in the water works for this British X-Factor winner in this very fun video. I also think that James should do a duet with Adele. Fill up my cup!
10. The Monster by Eminem featuring Rihanna - Channeling A Clockwork Orange and using clips of previous popular videos and important television moments, Eminem acknowledges that he truly is The Monster.
9. Move Like A Sinner by What Now - Rocking out of South Africa, What Now gives us wonderfully sexy rock video reminiscent of the great hair band videos of the 80s.
8. I'm A Rapper by Marcus Butler - This British YouTuber wanted to do something special after reaching 1 million subscribers and he, along with other YouTubers, came up with I'm A Rapper. This is just a fun as fuck video. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallo!
7. Stay by Rihanna featuring Mikky Ekko - A simple video for a stunningly simple song. Wonder if the bathwater was warm.
6. Story Of My Life by One Direction - This was a very well done and original video for these five boys from across the pond. Very moving. Niall, give me a shout when you can!
5. The Phoenix by Fall Out Boy - Give the boys credit, they were ballsy to name their album Save Rock and Roll. They are even more ballsy for making what is essentially one big music video for all eleven songs in the Young Blood Chronicles. Fuck this is a great video! Put on your war paint!
4. Royals by Lorde - Showing that not everyone lives in the 90120 or has stunning lives, Lorde give us a great video for her first big hit.
3. Mirrors by Justin Timberlake - Reminding us that he can still do epic videos, JT gives us Mirrors, that ranks up there with the video for Round and Round. Don't want to lose you now.
2. Sacrilege by Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Telling the story backwards, this video is a masterpiece. Playing on the hypocrisy that the "holier than thou" crowd espouses, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs give us their version of the Scarlet Letter.
1. Can't Hold Us by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton - In all honesty, this should have won the MTV Music Awards for Best Video. The video is just so much damn fun, with a camel and kilt wearing horn players. Put our hands up!
Let me know what your favorite video(s) are for 2013 in the comments below. And I raise a glass to a new year of great music videos in 2014!